PANCAKES! Cold mornings call for treats! This recipe is borrowed from Tasty, but I tweaked it to make it a wee bit naughtier. These pancakes are so fluffy, it's unreal! I've made them for many a non-vegan, and they've walked away very impressed, and very full. The following recipe makes 4 pancakes. This is usually enough for 2 people, as they are quite filling.
1 cup flour (use GF if needed)
2 tbsp organic sugar (I use coconut sugar- sourced from Fine Food Store)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup plant milk (I have used the Coco-nut and Hemp varieties by Mylk Made)
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
Your choice of vegan butter to cook with (I use Nuttelex olive), and sugary syrup to top with (I use Nut Brothers vegan hunny or Maple Syrup)
1 tbsp dark cocoa powder (because everything is better with chocolate)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (ordered in bulk from Honest Whole Foods)
1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp chocolate chips (optional, but is it really?..unless you're out of chocolate chips- then that's just bad luck)
1. On low-medium heat, roast the sliced almonds and shredded coconut until they start to brown a little.
2. While they're roasting, combine the dry ingredients and whisk together well. Then add the wet ingredients and whisk some more until your batter is smooth and silky.
3. Put the roasted almonds and coconut in a bowl for later.
4. Keep the pan on medium heat (my stove goes up to 8, and I cooked these just below 6- I find you need to cook pancakes with chocolate at a lower heat or they'll burn- or as I like to say..caramelize). For each pancake, I used about 1/3 tbsp of the nuttelex butter.
5. Pour out a 5 inch diameter circle of batter onto the heated, buttered pan. Wait until the top bubbles and the sides are cooked before flipping. Cook for 2-3 minutes on second side.
6. Spread a wee bit more butter on each pancake as soon as you take them off the heat.
7. Once stacked, garnish generously with your almond-coconut topping and sticky sugary syrup of choice!
8. Enjoy with hot cuppa!